Joomla 2.5 CMS running under Linux Operation System, by default, uses PHP mail() function to send emails. Sending email using your server’s SMTP system is another popular method. You need to create an email account from your hosting control panel to use SMTP. During email account setup, you need to setup a password for your email account.
Let’s jump into the SMTP setup process.
1. Log into your Joomla Admin Panel.
2. Click Global Configuration from Site menu.
3. Click the Server tab.
4. Under Mail Settings, configure the following settings and then click the Save button.
- Mailer: Select SMTP.
- SMTP Authentication: Select Yes.
- SMTP Security: Select None. In case your website uses SSL, select SSL from the drop-down list.
- SMTP Port: By default 25 is used. If SSL used, consult your hosting provider for correct SSL port.
- SMTP Username: Enter the SMTP Username. Generally, your full email address is your username.
- SMTP Password: Write here the password that you setup while creating your email account.
- SMTP Host: Use localhost in case your SMTP server and your website are on the same server. Otherwise, write here your SMTP hostname.
5. Welldone. You have successfully configured SMTP server for sending email from your website.
At this stage, take some time to test that your emails are sending properly via your SMTP server.